Best Season for Your Oceanside Family Reunion
Oceanside is the perfect destination for families looking to get away together. With year-round temperatures averaging in the 70s, sunny and warm is predicted for your family reunion or group family vacation. We’re often asked, “When is the best time for a family reunion in Oceanside?” Since a case can be made for “year-round”, we’ve outlined a list of some of our favorite events and things to do by season so you can choose what’s best for your group gathering.
Love the fun feature photo by Marcy Browe Photography? Read about this group at the end of the article.
Spring brings mild temperatures and blooming flowers. If a light rain is in the forecast, it’s usually expected between late winter and early spring, but that doesn’t slow us down. We’ve even put together this fun Rainy-Day schedule of what to do indoors. When the skies are clear, the sun will be warm with cool breezes to keep you smiling.
- Beach Soccer Championships (March) – Cheer on players of all skill levels, including professionals from around the world, at this festive soccer tournament on the sand in Oceanside Harbor.
- Flower Fields (March-May) – The nearly fifty acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers that make up The Flower Fields in Carlsbad, are in bloom for approximately six to eight weeks each year.
- Earth Festival (April) – Check out eco-friendly vendors, a kids’ eco zone, and handcrafted up-cycled gift ideas.
- Operation Appreciation (May) – We celebrate Armed Forces Day by saluting and giving back to our local military families. Family activities and military demonstrations.
It’s easy to think that the summer and the beach go hand-in-hand- because they do! With school out and temperatures on the rise, summer is one of the most popular seasons for people to visit Oceanside. The sidewalks and the beaches are bustling with locals and out-of-towners looking for a little relaxation and fun in the sun. It is no surprise that the majority of family reunions occur between Memorial Day and Labor Day. If you thrive in the hustle and bustle environment, you’ll find that there are endless outdoor activities and events for groups to enjoy. Since this is such a popular time to travel, lodging prices tend to be a bit higher and there are usually minimum stays required.
- San Diego County Fair (June/July) – The largest County Fair in the United States with over 1.6M visitors each year. The fair includes a fun concert series, rides, food vendors, and classic midway games.
- Supergirl Surf Pro (July) Enjoy three days of surfing heats and a festival village filled with live music, skateboarding, female-inspired vendors, and a TON of family friendly activities at the largest women’s surf competition in the world.
- Comic-Con (July) San Diego Comic-Con International is a multi-genre entertainment and comic convention held annually in downtown San Diego that draws over 100,000 attendees. Didn’t get coveted tickets? No problem! LOTS of FREE stuff to see and do around the event, including just walking around and taking in the spectacle. You can even take the train from Oceanside to San Diego.
- Oceanside Film Festival (August) This film festival features a variety of cinematic works from independent filmmakers. Every year they present a carefully assembled block of surf themed documentaries as well as a family-friendly drama and comedy block.
- Oceanside Harbor Days (September) – A two-day festival that includes a pirate village, nail ‘n’ sail competition, and military displays.
Ah… fall… In Oceanside, you’re bound to see clearer skies, a relief from monsoonal moisture, and plenty of warm temperatures still to be had. The crowds have returned home to start the school year, clearing the beaches for your whole crew to soak up the rays. In November and December, chances are you’ll catch one of those famous spectacular SoCal sunsets or maybe even spot the infamous San Diego Green Flash!
- Dia De Los Muertos (October) – The Day of the Dead cultural celebration honors loved ones that have passed and features traditional dancing and decorated altars. Oceanside’s festival is one of the largest in San Diego County.
- Bike the Coast (November) Explore the Southern California shoreline by bike during this annual event. Routes range from an easy kid friendly ride of 7 miles, all the way up to a 100 mile ride.
- Fall Festival at Heritage Park (November) The Friends of Oceanside Parks and Recreation hosts this free family friendly event that includes a chili cook-off, music, food and vendors booths. The “chili tasting” is $5 per person. The North County Model Railroad Society will be open for viewing as well as the “Trains For Kids” room.
Snowed in? Come experience chilled out O’side where not even the average overnight temps dip into the freezing zone. You’ll find some of the best lodging deals this time of year and wide-open beaches to enjoy! And while Whale Watching is a year-round activity off our shore, the coveted gray migration occurs from November – April. Many school aged kids will have several weeks off over the holiday break as well as 3 and 4-day weekends that coincide with President’s Day.
- Holiday Tree Lighting (December) – Kick off the holiday season during the city of Oceanside’s annual tree-lighting ceremony.
- Parade of Lights (December) – Wave to fishing boats, sailboats, and dinghies dressed in their holiday swag as they circle the harbor.
- Surfing Contests (January – May) – Your little groms will love watching local amateur surfers battle it out on the waves. Check out Oceanside’s local surf spots, group surf lesson opportunities, and of course- a list of year-round surf contests.
For current dates of all events, please visit our Oceanside Event Calendar.
10 Kid-Friendly Activities
Unexpected Things to Do
Beaches in Oceanside
Undecided On What Date to Choose?
Select a date that coincides with a family milestone or day that’s special to your family. Does anyone have an upcoming big wedding anniversary, a grandparent’s or elder’s birthday, a wedding or graduation, an ancestor’s birthday or date of immigration, a retirement party, a memorial or celebration of someone’s life, a birth, or an ethnic or religious holiday. Anniversaries are a great reason to unite the entire family. Mark the occasion by renewing your vows with “Say I Do Again” Vow Renewal services.
We’re Here to Help Plan your Family Reunion!
Visit Oceanside’s list of area special event and banquet venues, vendor referrals, and local accommodations is one stop shop for event information. This guide includes Oceanside’s venues categorized by type and includes capacity details, contact information, and catering options. The guide also includes group dining locations along with activities and excursions for your entire group to enjoy together!
About the Feature Photo
Marcy Browe Photography writes: “The Miller Family really got into the spirit when they showed up for their photo shoot on the beach in Oceanside. As soon as I saw all of them gathered in their red, white and blue attire I knew this was going to be a really fun family photo session. And it sure was!! This entire family came to Oceanside for the holiday week and they stayed right on the beach. We captured their family photos at the Oceanside Harbor, and it was so fun to see cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents and siblings all having a great time together. They were totally willing to get goofy and make silly photos. I love the silly shots as much as the posed shots, and I’m glad they were up for it!! I honestly think these are one of the nicest groups of people I’ve ever met, I wanted to keep hanging out with them after the shoot was done!!”