Planning to visit San Diego, California?
The biggest advantage of heading to San Diego from Oceanside is that you get to enjoy the relaxed North County San Diego beach community while still being able to experience the hustle and bustle of our San Diego attractions.
The Coaster, a commuter train that runs between these two cities, is the best mode of transport because it operates frequently, it alleviates the hassle of driving and possible traffic, and you can enjoy the trip. The ride down the coast is relaxing, has great views, and gives you time to plan and map our your itinerary.
Tips to Take the Coaster Train San Diego
To take the Coaster for a smooth and hassle-free trip to San Diego, consider the following tips for the ride:
- 1. When will you be traveling?
- You can visit the Coaster’s website and look at the detailed Coaster Schedule, divided into time slots for specific days. Since the Coaster leaves every few minutes (sometimes hours), make sure to purchase tickets for a time that suits you.
- 2. Where will you board?
- Next, check the station from where you want to board the Coaster. Station Locations are divided in terms of Zones. Zone 1, 2 and 3 have a total of 7 stations from where you can board and start your journey.
- 3. Do you need a connecting ride?
- If you want a connecting ride with the Coaster, you can take a look at options like Sprinter (rail), MTS Buses, Amtrak (rail), Metrolink (rail), San Diego Trolley and Riverside Transit Buses.
- 4. Double check the holiday schedule:
- If you are traveling during special holidays and events, the Coaster and its connections may not be operating. On Christmas Day, New Year Eve, Thanksgiving Day, Labor Day and Memorial Day, the Coaster, Breeze and Sprinter reduce the frequency of rounds and operate during limited hours.
- 5. Need help?
- If you need assistance navigating the Coaster schedule or planning your San Diego excursion visit the Welcome Center and we will have one of our knowledgable volunteers assist you.
Getting To and From the Fair
The North County Transit District trains are often the easiest, least expensive way to get to the Del Mar Fairgrounds depending on where you are coming from. With round trips ranging from $8-$11 for adults, $4-$5.50 for seniors, and free for children under 6 this is a great option for a relaxed trip that saves you on gas and parking fees.
This year the San Diego County Fair has made the train option even better with their new Fair Tripper ticket which combines a discounted fair ticket and transit fare all in one! The Fair Tripper costs $20, and can be purchased online through the Compass Cloud App.
If you’re visiting or live near Oceanside and want to take advantage of this amazing new offer and spend the day enjoying the San Diego County Fair, you are in luck! Oceanside is the perfect starting place for your journey to the Del Mar Fairgrounds with the Oceanside Transit Center located right at the heart of Downtown Oceanside. To get to the San Diego County Fair from Oceanside hop on a train until the stop in Solana Beach where you will exit the station and board one of the free shuttles offering rides directly to the Del Mar Fairgrounds! No parking or driving to worry about!
Biking to the fair is a great workout, and has the added benefit of being free! If you’re close enough this can be a fun and eco-friendly option.