Fall Fitness Challenges
Can you feel it in the air yet? We know it is hard to believe, but fall is right around the corner! With the changing of seasons, or at least the symbolic changing of seasons on the West Coast, comes a whole slew of athletic events you can take part in right here in Oceanside. Whether you are looking for swimming events, cycling events, running events or a combination of all three– we have plenty of activities on the calendar to meet any fitness goal you might have. As a bonus, we also included a few fitness tips shared by some of our partners!
“Stay hydrated and don’t underestimate the secret powers of sleep.”
-Jill Prichard, MCCS Hard Corp Race Series
What: The Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim is an annual event celebrated by athletes from all over California to help raise money for the Oceanside Swim Club. To register visit 89th Annual Oceanside labor Day Pier Swim.
When: Monday, September 3, 2018, 7am-11:30am
Where: The Strand N., Oceanside, CA 92054
More Info: Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim
- Course: The 1 mile course goes out and around the Oceanside Pier, and will be marked with colored buoys. Swimmers have the choice between the traditional or wetsuit swim divisions.
- Unique Fact: When the first Labor Day Pier Swim was held in 1929, participants were swimming around the 4th Oceanside Pier to be built. This year, on the 89th anniversary, they will be swimming around the 6th iteration of the Oceanside Pier.
What: Tiki swimmers begin their adventure with a mass start that takes them out and around the City of Oceanside’s iconic fishing pier. Once past the pier, swimmers turn north for a fast and straight swim towards the Oceanside Harbor where half way into the 2.4 mile course the 1.2 mile course swimmers will merge following their own mass start from the Harbor Beach. Once inside the Oceanside Small Craft Harbor, the Tiki swimmers will enjoy the calm protected waters where they will turn on the afterburners for a true “finishing kick” to the boat launch ramps. All finishers will receive a custom TikiSwim8 beach towel, TikiSwim8 visor, handwoven finisher lei, awesome finisher medal, and a hot and fresh breakfast burrito. Register here!
When: Sunday, September 16, 2018, 7am-11:30am
Where: Oceanside Pier, 300 The Strand N Oceanside, CA 92054
More Info: For more information visit TikiSwim
- Course Options: Two courses are available for TikiSwim, a 2.4-mile course and a 1.2-mile course. The 2.4 mile course will have swimmers start from the south side of the Oceanside Pier and the 1.2 mile swimmers will merge onto the course following their own mass start from the Harbor Beach.
- Unique Fact: The only time swimmers can legally pass through the Oceanside Harbor mouth is during the TikiSwim.
“Check your equipment. Before you head out on your next adventure, make sure that everything is in proper working order. Wearing the proper clothing or having the correct shoes can be the difference between a fun day and a miserable one.”
-Sabrina Swift, Endurance House Oceanside
What: The annual Bike the Coast event promotes Oceanside as a bike-friendly location. This year there will be 5 course distance options; a 7 mile ride, a 15 mile ride, a 25 mile ride, a 50 mile ride, or a 100 mile ride along Highway 101. Entry fee prices range from $30 to $150. Register here!
When: Saturday, November 3, 2018, all day
Where: Oceanside Pier, 300 The Strand N Oceanside, CA 92054 USA
More Info: Bike the Coast
“Sign up for a run or walk, so that you have made a commitment.”
-Kathy Kinane, O’side Turkey Trot
What: Celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday and its 243 years of existence with this monumental event! Register and run a 10K or 10 Miler between November 6th and 11th and you will receive a prize package a few weeks later. All race packages will include a finisher medal with bottle opener and a special t-shirt commemorating your run. The proceeds from this run will go to support the quality of life programs for active duty military stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.
When: Tuesday – Sunday, November 6-11, 2018, all day
More Info: To learn more and register visit Tun Ten Virtual Run
What: Come “move your feet before you eat” at the Pacific Marine Credit Union O’Side Turkey Trot, recognized as one of the Top Trots in the country by Runner’s World Magazine. Free digital photos, medals, shirts, and timing are available to all registered participants. The 5K Walk adult entry fee is $37 and the 10K Run/Walk adult entry fee is $40. Youth options are available. Additionally, for seniors 65 and older there is a special 1 mile O’Side Turkey Trot experience at 10:20am. Family members are welcome to participate to provide assistance if needed.
This event is family friendly and includes fun contests and competitions, as well as live entertainment along the course.
When: Thursday, November 22, 2018, 6am-11am
Where: Oceanside Civic Center, Pier View Way & North Ditmar Street, Oceanside, CA 92054, USA
More Info: O’side Turkey Trot
- Course Options: There are two options for this event, a 5K Run/Walk or a 10K Run.
Triathlons and Duathlons
What: Are you the ultimate endurance competitor or are interested in triathlons and looking for something a little different? Here’s your chance to test your skills against our country’s best men and women. The Camp Pendleton Semper Tri & Devil Dog Duathlon offers a variety of options to please any endurance athlete looking for a unique experience in the San Diego County area. This race is open to Marines and Civilians Ages 9 and Up. Register here!
When: Saturday, September 22, 2018, 7:30am-12:30pm
Where: Assault Craft Unit Five Camp Pendleton, Donald Cook Rd, Camp Pendleton North, CA 92055
More Info: Semper Tri and Devil Dog Duathlon
- Triathlon Course: This race will start with a 500 meter swim off of ACU-5 Camp Pendleton. After that the closed course 30k bike ride will follow Stuart Mesa Road North and continue to a turnaround point on Las Pulgas Road with moderate hills throughout. Finally the 5k run is a fast loop course that goes through ACU-5, with a few easy inclines. Aid Stations will be located at the transition area, at the bike turnaround and every mile on the run course.
- Duathlon Course: This race will begin with a 2k out and back beach run that follows the triathlon course route. Following that the bike portion will take place on the same triathlon route. Aid Stations will be located at the transition area, at the bike turnaround and every mile on the run course.
Make your fitness challenge even more special by doing it along side your family, friends, and even your co-workers! Gather your group and make a pact to conquer an athletic event together. It is a wonderful team building and bonding experience that everyone will look back on for years to come. If you need help coordinating group lodging options, contact the Oceanside Group Travel department for complimentary assistance. We look forward to welcoming you to Oceanside!
Upcoming Athletic Events in Oceanside