Fall Endurance Events
Can you feel it in the air yet? We know it is hard to believe, but fall is right around the corner! With the changing of seasons, or at least the symbolic changing of seasons on the West Coast, comes a whole slew of athletic events you can take part in right here in Oceanside. Whether you are looking for swimming events, cycling events, running events or a combination of all three– we have plenty of activities on the calendar to meet any fitness goal you might have. And as a bonus, we included a few fitness tips shared by some of our partners!
“Stay hydrated and don’t underestimate the secret powers of sleep.”
-Jill Prichard, MCCS Hard Corp Race Series
88th Annual Labor Day Pier Swim
What: The Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim is an annual event celebrated by athletes from all over California to help raise money for the Oceanside Swim Club. The entry fee on the day of is $60 and includes refreshments, electronic timing, swim cap, and t-shirt (if available). The first wave of swimmers will begin at 8:30am. Register here!
When: Monday, September 4th, 7am-12pm
Where: The Strand N., Oceanside, CA 92054
More Info: Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim
- Course: The 1 mile course goes out and around the Oceanside Pier, and will be marked with colored buoys. Swimmers have the choice between the traditional or wetsuit swim divisions.
- Unique Fact: When the first Labor Day Pier Swim was held in 1929, participants were swimming around the 4th Oceanside Pier to be built. Today, on the 88th anniversary, they will be swimming around the 6th iteration of the Oceanside Pier.
What: The TikiSwim is a part of the Oceanside Harbor Days festival. The entry fee for the 1.2-mile course is $74.95, and the registration for the 2.4-mile course is $89.95. All who finish the race will receive a TikiSwim trucker hat, choice of breakfast, hand woven lei and a finisher award. Register here!
When: Sunday, September 17th, 7:30am-11:30am
Where: Oceanside Pier, 300 The Strand N Oceanside, CA 92054
More Info: For more information visit TikiSwim 2017
- Course Options: Two courses are available for TikiSwim, the 2.4-mile course and the 1.2-mile course. The 2.4 mile swimmers will start from the south side of the Oceanside Pier at 7:30am. Once past the pier the swimmers turn north for a fast and straight swim towards the Oceanside Harbor, where half way into the 2.4 course, the 1.2 mile swimmers will merge onto the same course following their own mass start from the Harbor Beach. Once safely inside the harbor, all swimmers will enjoy the calm protected waters and finish at the boat launch ramps.
- Unique Fact: The only time swimmers can legally pass through the Oceanside Harbor mouth is during the TikiSwim.
“Check your equipment. Before you head out on your next adventure, make sure that everything is in proper working order. Wearing the proper clothing or having the correct shoes can be the difference between a fun day and a miserable one.”
-Sabrina Swift, Endurance House Oceanside
Bike the Coast – Taste the Coast
What: The annual Bike the Coast event is back promoting Oceanside as a bike-friendly location. This year there will be three course distance options, a 25 mile ride, a 50 mile ride and a 100 mile ride along Highway 101. Entry fee prices range from $40 to $130. Register here! Following the bike ride the Taste the Coast Festival will begin at the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater. This free event will include local cuisine, music, a beer garden and a sports expo for all to enjoy.
When: Saturday, November 4th, all day
Where: Oceanside Pier, 300 The Strand N Oceanside, CA 92054 USA
More Info: Bike the Coast
“Sign up for a run or walk, so that you have made a commitment.”
-Kathy Kinane, O’side Turkey Trot
Tun Tavern Ten Virtual 10k & 10 Mile Run
What: Celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday and its 242 years of existence with this monumental event! Register and run a 10K or 10 Miler between November 6th and 11th and you will receive a prize package a few weeks later. All race packages will include a finisher medal with bottle opener and a special t-shirt commemorating your run. The proceeds from this run will go to support the quality of life programs for active duty military stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.
When: Monday – Saturday, November 6-11, all day
More Info: To learn more and register visit Tun Ten Virtual Run
PMCU O’side Turkey Trot
What: Come “move your feet before you eat” at the Pacific Marine Credit Union O’Side Turkey Trot, recognized as one of the Top Trots in the country by Runner’s World Magazine. Free digital photos, medals, shirts, and timing are available to all registered participants. The 5K Walk adult entry fee is $36 and the 10K Run/Walk adult entry fee is $38. Youth options are available. Use promo code VisitO15 for a discount when registering! (Code expires November 20th)
Additionally, for seniors 65 and older there is a special 1 mile O’Side Turkey Trot experience held the day prior, November 22nd from 9am-11am. Family members are welcome to participate to provide assistance if needed. Please see website for complete rules and qualifications.
- Festival of Senior 1 Mile Run or Walk: Wednesday, November 22nd, 9am-11am
- Thursday, November 23rd, 6:30am-12pm
Where: Oceanside Civic Center, Pier View Way & North Ditmar Street, Oceanside, CA 92054, USA
More Info: O’side Turkey Trot
- Course Options: There are two options for this event, a 5K Run/Walk or a 10K Run. This event is family friendly and includes fun contests and competitions, as well as live entertainment along the course. Join one of the fastest growing holiday traditions.
Triathlons and Duathlons
Semper Tri & Devil Dog Duathlon
What: Are you the ultimate endurance competitor or are interested in triathlons and looking for something a little different? Here’s your chance to test your skills against our country’s best men and women. The Camp Pendleton Semper Tri & Devil Dog Duathlon offers a variety of options to please any endurance athlete looking for a unique experience in the San Diego County area. This race is open to Marines and Civilians Ages 13 and Up. The triathlon course includes a 500 meter swim, a 30k bike ride, and a 5k run. The Duathlon course includes a 2k beach run, and a 30k bike ride that follows the same route as the triathlon. Register here!
When: Saturday, September 23rd, 7:30am-1pm
Where: Assault Craft Unit Five Camp Pendleton, Donald Cook Rd, Camp Pendleton North, CA 92055
More Info: Semper Tri and Devil Dog Duathlon
- Triathlon Course: This race will start with a 500 meter swim off of ACU-5 Camp Pendleton. After that the closed course 30k bike ride will follow Stuart Mesa Road North and continue to a turnaround point on Las Pulgas Road with moderate hills throughout. FInally the 5k run is a fast loop course that goes through ACU-5, with a few easy inclines. Aid Stations will be located at the transition area, at the bike turnaround and every mile on the run course.
- Duathlon Course: This race will begin with a 2k out and back beach run that follows the triathlon course route. Following that the bike portion will take place on the same triathlon route. Aid Stations will be located at the transition area, at the bike turnaround and every mile on the run course.
Make your fitness challenge even more special by doing it along side your family, friends, and even your co-workers! Gather your group and make a pact to conquer an athletic event together. It is a wonderful team building and bonding experience that everyone will look back on for years to come. If you need help coordinating group lodging options, contact the Oceanside Group Travel department for complimentary assistance. We look forward to welcoming you to Oceanside!
Upcoming Athletic Events in Oceanside
No Events on The List at This Time