Located in beautiful Southern California, along San Diego’s North Shore, is the classic beach community of Oceanside where residents and visitors alike love to spend every moment they can outside, soaking up the warm sun. The city has diverse terrain that lends itself to a variety of fun and exciting bike routes; ranging from leisurely coastal cruises to high impact endurance challenges. Experience a unique side of Oceanside by exploring our beautiful city by bicycle!
Since 2008, Oceanside has been recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Cyclists; most recently awarded a silver classification for its clearly marked bike trails, number of cycling events and incorporation of cycling into the development and future infrastructure of the community.
Cycling Events and Workshops
Oceanside is also home to a variety of endurance events held throughout the year including IRONMAN 70.3 triathlon, Race Across America (RAAM), Bike the Coast- Taste the Coast, and more. With our mild climate and variations in scenery, Oceanside is the perfect place to train and to participate in your next athletic challenge.
Bike with Locals. Whether you are in the middle of training for an event or are just looking for something fun to do during your next trip to Oceanside, meet up with the Oceanside Multisport Group for one of their community training events. The scheduled training events include Tuesday night run, Saturday group rides and Sunday open water swim and long distance run. Check the Oceanside Multisport Group Facebook page for current dates and starting locations.
Guided bike tours are also available for those that are looking to get out and explore the area. The tours range from coastal bike routes to North County brewery tours. All of the the tours are led by a local resident, excited to share what they love most about the area. View calendar of guided tours hosted by SoCal Bike.
Bike Repair Station
To assist cyclists throughout the city, there are three bike repair locations located in high bike traffic locations. The bike stations provide an array of specialized bike tools and an air pump.
Bike Repair Stations:
- California Welcome Center
- Mance Buchanon Park
- Oceanside Pier, Pacific Street Entrance
Oceanside Bike Trails
Whether you are looking for leisurely, family-friendly bike trails or are more of an experienced rider interested in making Oceanside your home base as you explore the greater regions of San Diego and South Orange County, Oceanside has a variety of bike trails that offer unique sightseeing opportunities along the way.
Several of the suggested routes have overlapping elements, giving you the option to extend your cycling experience should you be up for the challenge. Two of the major trails that run through Oceanside include the San Luis Rey River Trail and the Coastal Rail Trail.
Oceanside Bike Routes
We have created a variety of Oceanside Bike Routes that all begin and end at the Oceanside Pier. Each route description includes a difficulty rating, distance breakdown, route overview and a list of suggested sightseeing locations or interest points along the way. You are invited to browse each trail to decide which route would be right for you and your group.
Within each description, the route has been given a difficulty rating categorizing it as either easy, intermediate or advanced to give you an idea of what you can expect along the way. Below is a quick breakdown for each classification:
- EASY. For the cyclist looking for an easy or family-friendly ride perfect for a casual day exploring the area, we have 3 suggested routes for you: Bike to Mission San Luis Rey, Bike to Oceanside Harbor and Bike to Carlsbad Village. These routes are low impact and are not long in distance, leaving plenty of time to explore along the way.
- INTERMEDIATE. For the cyclist really looking to explore and challenge themselves to unique rides outside of the Oceanside city limits. The intermediate rides are perfect if you are looking for a half to full day experience. These suggested routes include many sightseeing locations and give riders the option of riding round trip or taking the train back to Oceanside. The intermediate Oceanside Bike Trails include Bike to Encinitas, Bike to Torrey Pines and Bike to San Onofre State Park (through Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton).
- ADVANCED. For the endurance athlete, we have outlined 2 bike routes that offer the perfect blend of scenic views and physical challenge. The Bike to Mission San Juan Capistrano and the Bike to Sleeping Indian routes are very popular among the local experienced riders.
Local Cycling Resources
Many people are familiar with the Marine Corps Mud Run but every year the Hard Corp Race Series (HCRS) hosts other events that are made up of running, cycling, and water challenges that take the traditional fitness events to the next level. Learn why Becky Mintz, includes the HCRS in her annual training schedule. Read More.
Oceanside is the perfect place to escape for your next group outing, whether it is a family reunion, corporate meeting, incentive travel, or team building adventure. Visit during certain timeframes and qualify for gift cards, dining vouchers, transportation and more! Learn More.
Visit Oceanside is a proud sponsor of the Rider Safety Visibility (RSV) Initiative, launched by the San Diego Sports Collective to improve the safety of cyclists by increasing their visibilty through on-bike lighting, bright apparel, and bicycle advocacy.