Today is the day to plan your next vacation!
There’s so much that keeps us from taking our days off—some imagined, some unavoidable—but don’t let failure to plan be the reason you don’t take time off.
January 31st is National Plan for Vacation Day. Now is the time to make it happen. Start planning your 2017 vacation!
Did you know that more than half (55%) of us are not using our hard-earned vacation time? When you break that down, we are leaving 658 million unused vacation days on the table!!! How can that be? Why are we not using our vacation days?
Nearly two-thirds (65%) of employees say their company says next to nothing about time off. Couple that silence with our fears and anxieties about taking time off, and it is a recipe for keeping us at the office. According to research from Project: Time Off, the top barriers for employees include:
- Concern over returning to a mountain of work, 37%
- Feeling that no one else can do the job, 30%
- Impression that taking time off is harder as you grow in the company, 28%
- Wanting to show complete dedication, 22%
Study after study has proven that downtime has real benefits, and while the majority of Americans believe strongly in the value of time off, we continue to function under the assumption that endless face time serves us better than taking the occasional break.
How can we remedy this problem?
The secret to overcoming all of our vacation fears is planning.
It’s time for you to take back your calendar and put downtime at the top of your list of priorities. Planning for vacation can be achieved in three simple steps:
- Determine how much time off you earn and identify the vacation policies at your workplace.
- Get to dreaming! How do you want to spend your time off this year?
- Add your vacation plans to the calendar and share with your manager, your colleagues—everyone!
Today is the day! Start planning your next vacation and don’t let another year pass you by.
Need a little help getting started? We are here to help make your vacation planning process a little easier. Below are a few handy tips of how you can begin planning your next vacation in Oceanside, CA!
- Request an Oceanside Visitor Guide to gain inspiration and feedback from everyone in your family about what they want to see and do during their vacation.
- Can’t decide on a date to visit? View the Oceanside Event Calendar to see what events are scheduled. Want to see a surf contest? Attend an art gallery exhibit opening? Check back and view the calendar regularly to see what new events have been added.
- Tackle some of those activities listed on your bucket list– skydiving with coastal views, go on a helicopter tour, spot whales aboard a whale watching cruise, take a surf lesson, etc… There are plenty of adventures to be had.
- Make it a family affair! Invite all of your friends and family to join you and to enjoy the sweet beach life that we have here in Oceanside. Explore these tips on how to plan and prepare for traveling with a group.
- Visit the California Welcome Center- Oceanside to purchase discount attraction tickets and discover incredible tips from our amazing volunteers.
- Last but not least, document all of your adventures and share them with us @visitoceanside using the hashtag #myoside on your favorite social media channels.
Statistics and planning tips courtesy of the U.S. Travel Association and Project Time Off.